mercredi 17 octobre 2018

Marijuana is legal in Canada.

As of today it is legal in Canada to possess up to 30g (28g = 1 oz) of cannabis and cannabis products (oils, edibles).

The last time I smoked was in 2009. Before that I smoked daily for about 20 years.

I was curious to see how the pricing would compare to what I was familiar with paying.

On the official govt website, to order online, a quarter ounce costs $50.25, taxes included. At first glance that compares favorably to the typical street price of $80. However, I don't think it is low enough to eliminate the black market.

Any daily smoker who bought in bulk was likely paying in the range of $1800 to $2400 a pound for hydroponically grown, which works out to $28.13 to $37.50 a quarter once.

And Mexican compressed outdoor could be found for as little as $1100 a pound.

There's certainly room in those dealer prices for them to drop their margins to further undercut govt pricing. I had a roommate who was buying around $400,000 worth of marijuana a month. And his supplier was spending around $5,000,000 a month. I don't think they will feel threatened by the govt pricing.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.


*edit to add*

I have no idea how street pricing from 10 years ago, quoted above, compares with more recent prices.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire